Blogging is a popular way to make money. This is because people scour the web looking for ways to keep up with the latest fashion; they read on how to change their car oil; they want to know what’s trending in the world.
When you write, you are fulfilling a need for information.
Making money from blogging is a process that doesn’t take place overnight, but there are some factors to understand before you dive face-first into this.
What determines the profit?
A lot of bloggers earn primarily by advertising content on their blogs. Once they have a large following, they monetize their blog for advertising.
Programs such as Google’s Adsense allow you to earn money every time someone clicks on their ad on your blog. While the quality of your content and its usefulness are without doubt the most important factors in determining the profit you make, there are other aspects to this:
- Number of visitors: It is important for you to build a relationship with your readers to keep them coming back to your blog. This is done by getting them to sign up for your mailing list so you can advertise new products and send newsletters to remind them to revisit you.
Remember, the number of visitors determines the number of clicks and the revenue your blog generates.
- Visibility of Ads: Display your ads in accordance to the theme of your blog—whether it is pictures, text or small images. But be sure to advertise things consistent with your content, because the viewers are less likely to click on an ad about valentine’s presents when they are reading up about robotics.
Another thing to be careful with is to not fill up your blog with ads that make it look unattractive.
- Blogging Topic:This is important to advertisers because they wish to advertise more on certain blogs than others. This also determines the kind of audience you have. For example, a blog about women’s makeup is more likely to sell skincare and makeup products.
If you cater to teenage boys, the advertisers will pay you less for each click because this audience does not have much paying power.
While all this may sound intimidating, just keep in mind that a blog with the right topic and high traffic can potentially generate funds.
Here are some other ways that you can explore:
- Writing reviews for products (this must be relevant to your content, no one wants to know about the best blow dryer on a blog about Golfing)
- Affiliate Marketing
- Using a WordPress Advertising Plug-in to sell Ads directly
- Sell Sponsored Blog Posts
- Flipping Websites
- Selling digital products such as e-books and hosting webinars
At the end of the day however, the most important thing for your blog is the content and generate and the traffic out blog has. Because this will generate any money you earn from your blog.